Know More About Triplett Motor & Phase Rotation Testers
How does a 3-phase rotation tester work?
The 3-phase rotation tester works on the principle of induction motors. For instance, if the motor is equipped with a three-phase supply with a phase sequence of Red, Yellow, and Blue, the motor will work in a clockwise direction. However, if the phase sequence is reversed, the motor will work in an anti-clockwise direction. This will show up on the LED display of the rotation meter.
How do you perform a phase rotation test?
The 3-phase rotation tester is used to understand if phase wiring L1, L2, and L3 is working in sequence. The meter is provided with test lead alligator clips and features test lead input jacks, L1, L2, L3 display icons, and a clockwise rotation LCD indicator with left and right icons.
Follow the below-given steps to perform a phase rotation test using a phase rotation meter.
Connect the color-coded test leads to the input jacks at the top of the meter. Connect the test probes of the meter to L1, L2, and L3 phases of the system. Turn on the device and if the connections are proper, then L1, L2, and L3 indicators will illuminate on the meter. This shows the connection of phases. Check the arrows – counter-clockwise and clockwise to understand the phase rotation of the device being tested.
What are the applications of magnetic rotation tester?
Magnetic rotation testers are used to determine the power and instrument transformer polarity. Check the continuity of electrical circuits. Identify the polarity and phase of winding sections of star and delta-connected motors.
What are the safety procedures to follow when using a phase rotation tester?
Our magnetic rotation testers are used for live tests and designed for safe operation; however, you need to handle them with extra care to avoid electric shocks. You need to observe the following while using them.
- Read the information in the manual carefully when using the meter.
- Wear PPE to avoid injury from shocks or fire.
- Check the test leads for exposed metal or damaged insulation. If any such damages are noticed, then replace the leads.
- Avoid using the 3-phase motor rotation tester if the indicator or the test leads appear to be damaged.
- Work carefully if you are using the magnetic rotation testers for power supplies above 42V AC peak, 30V AC RMS, 60V DC as they may pose a shock hazard.
- Keep your fingers on the finger guards of the probes and avoid touching probe contacts.
- Do not use the phase rotation meter around dust, vapor, or gas or moisture-laden environments.
Browse More Electrical Test & Measurement Collections
Multimeters & Clamp-On Meters:
|Analog Multimeters||Clamp-On Multimeters||Digital Multimeters|
|Railroad VOM Test Sets||Voltage & Current Dataloggers||Magnetic Field Testers|
|AC Voltage Detector||Continuity Testers||Test Leads|
|GFCI Receptacle Testers||AC Line Splitters||Electrical Hand Tools|
|Non-Contact Voltage Detection Pens||Circuit Breaker Tracers|
Megohm & Resistance Testers:
|Megohmmeters - Insulation Testers||Earth Ground Resistance Testers|
Live Wire Circuit Testers:
|Live Wire Tone & Probe Kit|