Know More About Triplett Coax F Connectors
What is an F-Type Connector?
An F-connector is a type of gendered, compression connector that provides reliable contacts. It provides a 75 ohms match for signals that may extend up to 1 GHz. The connector features female and male connections and makes strong contacts using the threaded outer portion.
The F-type connector has a 3⁄8 in-32 unified extra fine (UNEF) thread. The male connection features a captive nut, which has a center pin and a threaded portion inside. The center pin is nothing but a conductor present in the coax. The connectors are arranged such that the dielectrics of the two halves touch each other. These dielectrics produce regular impedance across the connectors. The female connection features a receptacle in place of the center pin. Also, there is a barrel featuring the thread outside and spacing dielectric inside it.
Know About Different Types of F Connectors
F connectors are a type of round coaxial cable connectors often used to connect set top boxes, televisions, projectors, and so on. They can be easily fixed with the help of a screw and are relatively inexpensive. These are available in three types – twist-on, crimp-on, and compression connectors.
- Compression Connectors: These connectors create a super-tight seal by pushing the back-end to the front-end. Compression F connectors, owing to their sealing capabilities, help keep dust and water away from the connector, thereby maintaining the signal quality. Compression F connectors are typically used for home theater systems, surveillance systems, and so on. Triplett offers various types of male compression connectors of 75 ohms. They have a 360-degree plastic insert that completely captures the cable components to the inside walls of the connector. This increases the shelf life of the cable. Most models have a compression seal and are waterproof
- Crimp-on Connectors: These connectors are rarely used today. Crimp-on F connectors apply pressure on the connector and are thus used as a special tool. It actually crimps onto the center pin of the connector. This connector provides great sealing provided it is installed properly. Nowadays, technicians are replacing it with compression connectors.
- Twist-on Connectors: Twist on F connectors are used for over-the-air antennas among many other electrical appliances and systems. Triplett offers durable twist-on F connectors with a durable metal body. They are field installable and reusable. They are threaded onto the outer jacket of the cable once the insulated portion is stripped off.
Applications of Coaxial F Connectors
Coaxial F connectors are used in the following applications:
- CATV, CCTV, and HDTV signals
- Aerospace applications on which the cables are used on-board aircraft
- On-board satellite where space-grade hardened cables are used
- Coaxial Ethernet signal applications
How to Connect an F-Type Connector to a Cable
F-type connectors are used in various satellite and TV equipment and they offer a secure sealing environment. Nowadays, these connectors are being used in many splitters and amplifiers for creating tight connections.
- Slice off the outer layer of the coaxial cable using a blade or sharp knife.
- Pull off the cable around 18mm to check the copper braiding inside.
- Remove the screen covering on the cable to see the inner foam insulation.
- Split the braids into two sections on both sides of the cable.
- Twist the braids with your fingers to check with neat tails.
- Cut through the plastic insulation or foam about 4mm above the tails of the braid to see the inner core.
- Handle this part carefully; do not try to damage or bend it.
- Remove the insulation of foam and ensure no braids touch the core.
- Screw the F-type connector using pliers to make it easy.
- Next, try to screw the connector until the white foam insulation matches the level with the connector inside.
- Ensure no braiding touches the inner core.
- Try to remove any extra hanging braids on the sides of the connector.
- Wrap a tape around the connector to create a neat look. This wrap around using a tape is perfect if you wish to use the connector for internal applications. However, if you plan to use it for external applications try to use a self-amalgamating tape. This tape must be wrapped around parts that are exposed.
Triplett is an industrial leader in offering wide range of security, CCTV & cabling equipment connectors including BNC connectors and adapters, Compression connectors, RJ45 connectors, CCTV coax connectors and more. Contact our team today to know which type of connectors is best suitable for your industrial applications.
Browse More Security, CCTV & Cabling Equipment Collections
Camera Install & Maintenance:
|Security Camera Testers||HDMI Cables||CAT6a Shielded Cable|
|HD LED Test Monitors||Baluns, Converters & Hubs||HDMI & IP Extenders|
|Compression Connectors||RJ45 (CAT5-6)Connectors||Cabling Hand Tools & Kits|
|CCTV Coax Connectors||Modular Connector||Between Series|
|BNC Adapters||BNC Connectors|